The María Elena Martínez Prize
$500 is awarded annually for the book judged to be the most significant work on the history of Mexico published during the previous year. $500 is awarded annually for the book judged to be the most significant work on the history of Mexico published during the previous year. The prize was established in 2009. Formerly the Mexican History Prize, the prize was renamed in 2015 in memoriam of María Elena Martínez.
The award will be governed by the following rules:
1. The CLAH Book Prize in Mexican History will be awarded annually to an outstanding book on Mexican history published in English or Spanish in the calendar year prior to the year in which the award committee makes its decision. Thus, the committee that convenes in 2017, for the prize to be awarded in January 2018, will consider books bearing a copyright of 2016. The prize committee, at its discretion, may determine that no book merits an award for a given calendar year.
2. Books eligible for the award must focus primarily on the history of Mexico. Geographically, the term “Mexico” refers to the territory that came to be known as New Spain prior to 1821, Greater Mexico from 1821 to 1848, and the region within current national boundaries thereafter. The prize committee may consider books about the borderlands of these territories, if it so chooses.
3. Books must be nominated for the award by a member of the CLAH or a publisher. The author may nominate her/his own work, but must become a member of the CLAH to be considered.
4. The president of the CLAH will name a prize committee each year, comprised of three experts on Mexican history. The president is encouraged to name the most recent past winner of the Book Prize as a member of the prize committee.
5. Authors are advised to consult their publishers to be certain their books have been nominated and a copy sent to each member of the Review Committee.
For a book to be considered, each of the three committee members must receive a copy by June 1, 2017, either from the publisher or from another source.
Note: The CLAH now requires current membership for all of its prizes.
Maria Elena Martinez Prize Committee Members for 2017:
Chair: Andrae Marak
Governors State University
1 University Parkway, Room E-2564
University Park, IL 60484
243 Upham Hall
100 Bishop Circle
Oxford, OH 45056
Gabriel Martínez Serna
Priv. Jardin Centro #441
Col. Jardines del Contry
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
Deadline for receipt of nominations: June 1, 2017
|< Prev||Next >|