The Distinguished Service Award
$500 is awarded each year to a Conference member whose career in scholarship, teaching, publishing, librarianship, institutional development, or other fields evidences significant contributions to the advancement of the study of Latin American History in the United States.
The Conference on Latin American History Award for Distinguished Service to the profession was established in 1969 by the General Committee and approved in 1971. The following guidelines are based upon the relevant CLAH By-Laws. Requirements of the Award: The award shall be conferred upon a person whose career in scholarship, teaching, publishing, librarianship, institutional development or other fields demonstrates significant contributions to the advancement of the study of Latin American history in the United States.
Administration of the Award:
1. The award shall be made annually.
2. Nominations for the award may be made by any member of the Conference and forwarded to the Distinguished Service Committee by June 1 of each year. Nominations should consist of a letter from the nominator summarizing the nominee’s lifetime contributions in the areas contemplated by this award, the candidate’s CV, and no more than five letters of support from colleagues familiar with the nominee’s service.
3. The Distinguished Service Committee shall present its recommendation to the Secretariat and the President of CLAH by September 15 of each year. At its discretion, the committee may recommend that none of the nominees receive the award.
4. The award shall be in the form of a plaque suitably designed and inscribed and with a stipend of $500 for presentation on the occasion of the Annual Conference meeting in January following the award year. The recipient will normally deliver an address at the CLAH luncheon.
5. At its discretion, the committee may recommend that worthy but unsuccessful nominations be carried forward for consideration the following year. In this case, the committee will notify the nominator so that he or she can update the nomination as needed.
Distinguished Service Award Committee for 2017:
Chair: Lowell Gudmundson, Mount Holyoke College, email@example.com
Gil Joseph, Yale University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Karasch, Oakland University, email@example.com
Deadline for receipt of nominations: June 1, 2017
|< Prev||Next >|